A lot of history is behind this structure. It saw the tragic era of slavery as the quarters where original owner Stephen Barker housed the enslaved people who toiled on his farm. After the Civil War the entire property was purchased by the Kirkpatrick family but the main mansion burned down in 1935. A grandson then renovated the slave quarters into his own home for his new family. Today it remains a vital piece of history. For more history find the interpretive marker at the front of the house.