Ashford Mill Ruins
The mill's namesake, Harold Ashford, commandeered a gold mine in 1907 from Keys Gold Mining Company. Soon thereafter, Keys took Ashford to court - but to no avail. For all of Ashford's hard work and legal troubles, the mine was never successful; no one would reap a profit from the scant ore. Today, the concrete remnants of buildings dating back the 1930s and '40s stalwartly resist the oven-like temperatures of Death Valley. The turn-off road to the mill is located off of Badwater Rd., almost halfway between CA-127 and CA-190. It's open 24/7.