Large

Knights Ferry Covered Bridge

Saves: 13
Check-ins: 3
Built in 1863, this bridge is 330 feet long making it the longest of its type west of the Mississippi. Knights Ferry itself has a longer history. It was named after an enterprising fur trader during the Gold Rush days of California. His ferry transported people and goods across the Stanislaus River giving him a hefty income. The first bridge at this juncture was built in 1857, but was destroyed when another bridge upstream was washed out in a flood - and the resulting debris collided violently. Many of the old buildings still stand such as the jail, firehouse, and old mill. A general store and B&B, more than a century later, still operate. (Submitted by Louise C)

Member Photos

Medium
Medium
Medium