Mentryville Ghost Town
Los Angeles County, even with its large population, has a tiny little ghost town in Santa Clarita. Mentryville was created in 1876 and prospered because of the discovery of oil on its land. The early 1900s saw the decline of Mentryville and thereafter was inhabited solely by oil foremen and their families. When Pico Number 4, as the oil well was called, ceased production in 1990, it had become the longest running oil rig in the world. After 1990, Mentryville became a California State Historic Park donated by Chevron.