Wildrose Charcoal Kilns
Built of limestone, 10 dome-like structures known as beehive kilns are 25 feet tall. They were built from local stone and mortared together with a lime, sand, and gravel mix. They ate up the pinion pines around them to produce charcoal (pinion pines produce pine nuts) which was then transported to the mining furnaces. Built in 1877, they were only in use for a couple a years. To see the kilns, take Emigrant Canyon Road off of Hwy 190. The drive is lovely but watch out for wild burros whose ancestors transported charcoal in the mining days.