Zurich Station Sign
Zurich, a former settlement in Inyo County, bears little resemblance to its European counterpart. Even with the surrounding desert atmosphere and dry brush, a Swiss immigrant saw the jagged white peaks in the distance and was instantly reminded of the Alps. Originally called Alvord, the town was renamed Zurich in 1923 and was established as the first stop of the Carson and Colorado Railway. After the railroad shut down, Zurich became a ghost town with a few buildings and a historical plaque remaining.