Georgetown's Old Jail

Saves: 1
Check-ins: 3
The small stone jail in Georgetown was constructed in 1883 with steel cells donated by the county, costing $700. Initially referred to as the "Hotel de Barr" after the town marshal Barr, the jail gained recognition for its distinctive "vertical window decorations." Primarily used to temporarily house intoxicated individuals, fighters, and stray dogs, the facility consisted of two cells and a watchman's area. The jail remains secured by the same padlock that prevented escapes in the past. (Submitted by Christine Peeples)