Cruger-dePeyster Sugar Mill Ruins
Once a thriving mill, these ruins were burned down by Seminole Indians in 1835. The mill was made with stone and mortar formed from coquina quarried locally. Coquina is a soft substance made from old seashells, sand, and calcium carbonate. Even being constructed out of delicate materials the ruins are holding up weathering the Florida rains. They are in a state park that is open to the public from sunrise to sunset. Admission to the park is free.