Fort Matanzas National Monument
Fort Matanzas National Monument consists of a 1740 Spanish fort called Fort Matanzas and nearly 100 acres of salt marsh and barrier islands along the Matanzas River and was designated a National Monument in 1924. Restoration of the badly deteriorated fort began way back in 1916 and the fort was stabilized by 1924. It was then transferred from the War Department to the National Park Service in 1933 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. In the late 2000s, the Fort Matanzas National Monument Headquarters and Visitor Center were added to the national park.