Diamond Head Lighthouse
Named for the glittery rocks it stands above this second reincarnation of Diamond Head Lighthouse was built in 1917. Long before the first one was built in 1899 bonfires were lit on this lookout to guide sailors safely to shore. The shimmer in the volcanic slopes are actually calcite crystals and this overlook has been known as Diamond Head ever since the 1820s. Although the lighthouse isn't open to the public, it is still a nice place to walk to from the downtown area.