1879 Hooper Strait Lighthouse
In 1966, 87 years after the lighthouse had been built it was placed on a barge and moved to the Chesapeake Maritime Museum. In 1967, the newly relocated lighthouse opened to the public. It was originally built to help ships navigate the narrow, shallow Hooper Strait which was known to be treacherous. This screwpile structure was the second lighthouse to guide ships through the strait; the first was destroyed in by ice in 1877.