Large

Burnside Bridge

Saves: 4
Check-ins: 1
This 125-foot-long bridge opened in 1836, a passage for farmers crossing Antietam Creek to get to the market in Sharpsburg. During the Civil War the Union Army took the bridge after a long stand-off in the decisive Battle of Antietam. It's named for the major of the Union IX Army Corps who led the attack, Ambrose Burnside. Today, this pedestrian-only footbridge is one of the most photographed bridges and landmarks of the Civil War.