Eyrie House Ruins
The ruins tell a tragic story that is all too human. William Street was once the owner of the grand Eyrie House Hotel in the late 1800s. He lost his hotel in a matter of hours on an evening in 1901 after attempting a funeral pyre for two of his deceased horses. Underinsured, he was never able to recover his losses and lived the rest of his life embittered and alone. After the state took on the land and ruins as part of the Mt. Tom Reservation, a $5,000 check was deposited into Streets bank account - which in 1905 was the equivalent of $135,454.57 today.