Schoolmaster Hill Ruins

Address:

Latitude & Longitude:

Saves:

1

Check-Ins:

0

Description:

The origins of these ruins trace back to a period predating the establishment of the park in 1882. Notably, the renowned Massachusetts resident, Ralph Waldo Emerson, resided in a modest cabin atop the hill. Emerson, a local teacher during that era, lent the hill its name, "Schoolmaster Hill." He dwelled there for two years, crafting nature poetry and essays that would become integral to the transcendentalist movement. Tragically, the historic structure succumbed to fire in the 1930s. In the 1990s, efforts were made to partially restore the ruins to their present condition.

(Submitted by Jules Sullivan)

Website:

Tags:

Hikes • Ruins • Scenic