Italian Hall Historical Marker
Only the front arch of this once stately building remains. The hall which was built in 1908 offered financial aid and relief to immigrants and those who fell on hard times. However, it was ironically the scene of a tragedy in 1913. Copper miners who had been on strike for five months came to the hall for what they thought would be a Christmas celebrations and reprieve from their anxieties. Instead an unknown culprit yelled "Fire!" into the crowded hall, inciting a frantic escape of hundreds. In the ensuing aftermath 73 people died half of whom were between the ages of 6 and 10. Although the building was demolished in 1984, the entrance archway was saved to create this memorial.