Large

Berkeley Pit

Saves: 1
Check-ins: 0
This former copper mining pit is now a toxic lake full of acidic water, heavy metals, and microscopic lifeforms that thrive in the murky depths. Up close, the surface of the liquid is a rust-red but aerial photos show it to be black as tar. Ingesting the liquid would result in the disintegration of your organs as was shown when a flock of geese landed here in 1995. Many couldn't be paid money to visit a toxic waste site but there is no lack of tourists here who gladly pay the $2 admission fee to observe the more harmful effects of the industrial age.