Fort Kearny State Historical Park
Fort Kearny was founded in 1848 and was named after General Stephen W. Kearny. Located along the Oregon Trail, this outpost near the town of Kearney and along the Great Platte River Road became an important way station for western bound wagon trains for resupply and a safe rest area for travellers. The forts continued expansion resulted in erecting over 30 buildings within the enclosure until it closed in 1871. The fort also took on the roles of a Pony Expresss, an Overland Stage, and a telegraph station.