Jefferson Market Library
The Jefferson Market Branch, New York Public Library, had been once known as the Jefferson Market Courthouse. It is located at 425 Avenue of the Americas in Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York City. Originally built as the Third Judicial District Courthouse from 1874 to 1877, in 1958 it faced demolition which led to public outcry. Now it is being reused as a branch of the New York Public Library. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977.