Smallpox Memorial Hospital Ruins
The abandoned 100-bed hospital located on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan, New York City was originally designed by architect James Renwick, Jr. It opened in 1856 when the area was known better as Blackwell's Island. The hospital closed a century after it opened and the building eventually fell into disrepair. The city designated the ruin a New York City landmark and it's the only ruin in the city with that designation. The Smallpox Hospital ruins will be open to the public after its stabilization project is completed.