Smokemont Baptist Church
Also known as Oconaluftee Baptist Church, this building was built in 1912 although its congregation was founded in 1836. Its architecture is notable for the its lack of a spire or steeple which is often found in Baptist church styles. Now part of the National Park Service the church is occasionally used for events but it ceased regular services in 1935. There is a record of the congregation going back to 1895 which offers a well-documented history of the area. The church can be accessed from U.S. 441/Newfound Gap Road. Go straight into the parking area for the church.