Elmwood Park Zoo
The Elmwood Park Zoo opened in 1924 is located in Norristown, Pennsylvania. The first animals exhibited came from North and South America with funding from the Norristown Zoological Society which took ownership of the Elmwood Park Zoo in 1985. In 2002, the park completed an expansion which doubled its size from its original 8 acres. There are two separate groups of animals living at the zoo. There are those kept for educational and outreach purposes: birds, mammals, reptiles, and invertebrates and animals on exhibit: amphibians, birds, fish, mammals, and reptiles. Major renovations have taken place over the years resulting in over in half a million guests yearly.