Forty Fort Meetinghouse

Address:

Latitude & Longitude:

Saves:

3

Check-Ins:

2

Description:

Forty Fort Meetinghouse built in 1806-08 is located at River Street and Wyoming Avenue in the Old Forty Fort Cemetery. The meeting house, designed by Joseph Hitchcock of New Haven, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Hitchcock also created the Old Ship Zion Church in Wilkes-Barre, the first completed church used for religious services in the area. The meeting house became rare when worshippers began building their churches. The Forty Fort Cemetery Association, created by the Pennsylvania state legislature and the Association in 1869, still owns the church and cemetery. Currently, it hosts numerous events throughout the year, including docent-led tours from May thru September. Open seasonally.

Website:

Tags:

History