Large

Historic Strawberry Mansion

Saves: 1
Check-ins: 0
Judge William Lewis originally named his home "Summerville" when he had it built between 1783 and 1789. Lewis maintained an anti-slavery stance throughout his life. His defense of the rights of enslaved people helped to draft and pass the first Abolition Law in the United States in 1780 called the Act For The Gradual Abolition of Slavery. Strawberry Mansion’s current name was adopted in 1846 when farmers renting the mansion served strawberries and cream to the public. The estate is open for tours from February to December.