Pat's King of Steaks
Pat's King of Steaks or Pat's Steaks is a Philadelphia restaurant specializing in cheesesteaks. Pats is located at the intersection of South 9th Street, Wharton Street and East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia, directly across the street from rival Geno's Steaks. Pat's was founded in 1930 by brothers, Pat and Harry Olivieri, who are credited with the creation of the Philly cheesesteak, and did so when they decided they wanted something different for lunch, so they purchased some inexpensive rib eye steak meat. They cut the meat thin and added onions and grilled it. The aroma attracted a regular customer, a cabdriver, who tried the dish the brothers called a steak sandwich which later evolved into the modern cheesesteak.