Large

The Cliffs Ruins

Saves: 6
Check-ins: 3
Cliffs were built in 1753 by Philadelphia merchant Joshua Fisher. The ruins overlook the Schuylkill River. This country house in the Georgian style, constructed in stone with two stories and a basement, was initially heated by double fireplaces on both floors and the basement. The estate surrounding the house included a farm. The home purchased by the Fairmount Park Commission in 1868 was vandalized and burned down in the late 20th century. The ruins of this once magnificent house are all that remain, but they have taken on a new life as a canvas for graffiti artists. And as the surrounding nature slowly reclaims the house, all that is left is the masonry shell covered in graffiti and debris, but it does look relatively calm. (Submitted by Michael Jacobs)