This novelty building, built atop the south end of Mount Penn overlooking Reading, has been a city symbol for over a century. The Pagoda was completed in 1908 with a cost of $50,000. Originally intended to be a part of a hotel/restaurant luxury resort, the Pagoda was donated to Reading when the plans for the resort fell through. The Pagoda is managed and preserved by the Foundation for the Reading Pagoda but is owned by the City of Reading. In 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.