Watch Hill Lighthouse
The Watch Hill Lighthouse situated in Watch Hill, Rhode Island has been a vital maritime guide since 1745 when a watchtower and beacon were established during the French and Indian War and Revolutionary War. After the original structure was destroyed in a storm in 1781, plans were made to build a new lighthouse to mark the eastern entrance to Fishers Island Sound and warn sailors about a perilous reef southwest of Watch Hill. President Thomas Jefferson authorized its construction in 1806, and the lighthouse, initially 35 feet tall, was completed in 1807. In 1827, a rotating light was added to distinguish it from Stonington Harbor Light in Connecticut.