Biggin Church Ruins

Saves: 1
Check-ins: 1
These ruins can be found in Moncks Corner. They stand on the grounds where a church was originally constructed in 1711. However, the ruins we see today are the remnants of a structure that was built in 1761. Biggin Church was established by the South Carolina Commons House of Assembly during the division of the colony into 10 parishes. Serving as the parish church for St. John's Berkeley Parish, it held great historical significance. Tragically, this sacred place was ravaged by three catastrophic fires, leading to its current state of ruin. (Submitted by Kelli Seeman-Smith)

Member Photos

William Wallace McCleod had a plantation on James Island SC and was killed in battle. He rests in an unknown grave in the cemetery.