Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel
The construction of the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel began in the late 1920s and was completed in 1930. At that time this tunnel was the longest existing tunnel of its type and its purpose was to create direct access to Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon from Zion National Park. Due to accidents, the National Park Service began traffic management at the tunnel in 1989. Rangers were posted at both ends of the tunnel to convert two-way tunnel traffic into one-way traffic for larger vehicles. This service has a $15 two-trip tunnel permit fee and large vehicles may only travel through the tunnel at specific times daily. The tunnel has been reinforced considerably because of the sandstone through which it passes. Concrete ribs are now in place, giving the tunnel added support. The tunnel also had a collapse in 1958 which closed it for several weeks. Now it's electronically monitored 24 hours a day to warn park officials of the danger of a recurrence. The tunnel comes into view after the winding roads of Zion's scenic view and the drive-through is about one mile. Windows have been cut into the tunnel to give you a view of the outside world.