The Siege of Petersburg lasted almost a year from June 1864 to April 1865. After this long campaign tens of thousands of lives were lost on both sides. This house is built from the tombstones of 2,200 of those Union soldiers who were buried in Poplar Cemetery at the end of the war. The next century's Great Depression caused the cemetery to enact some cash-saving measures such as cutting the tombstones and laying the top half with the deceased's information flat on the ground, thereby saving on lawn maintenance. The bottom halves of the tombstone which were blank were sold to Oswald Young who in 1934 built his new abode with the graveyard bricks. This is a private residence so take stop very briefly to take a picture and drive on.